The most joyous time of the year is upon us in #DowntownCG, Cape Riverfront Market season!
This upcoming Saturday, May 4th, you can venture downtown for a morning full of all things local. The market offers a huge variety of fresh produce, handcrafted goods, plants galore, live music, and my personal favorite, all of the eats. I highly recommend arriving early, market opens at 8 AM (listen for the cowbell), taking a lap to peruse the selection, and then grabbing one of everything from each vendor. Trust me, I am a (self-proclaimed) market professional. As the market rolls into its 8th year of operation, over 40 vendors have joined the Saturday morning movement. I can guarantee you will fall in love with the market just as much as I have.
To get you even more excited for #openingweekend, I present to you “A Foodie’s Guide to Opening Weekend at the Cape Riverfront Market.” Come hungry, leave happy.
- Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Donuts: A market staple. These freshly-made donuts are shaped, fried, and dipped right in front of your very eyes. You can choose between their classic glazed and a chocolate-dipped donut adorned with rainbow sprinkles. Prepare for a line, these donuts are a fan-favorite among market-goers.
- The German Cook: If you have yet to eat one of Christian, the (real-life) German cook’s, bratwursts, pork burgers, or signature side, you are missing out, my friend. There is nothing like eating a burger with German potato salad at 9 AM in the morning to really kick-off your day the right way.
- Bon Bons: Stop by this local baker to grab an assortment of the yummiest goods. I highly recommend sampling each of her macaron flavors, grabbing a slice of cake to share, or just buying one of everything.
- Chilehead Salsa: Salsa lovers rejoice! Chilehead’s offers two levels of heat, mild & hot, in their signature salsa blend. I put this salsa on literally everything. Eat it with chips, throw it on eggs – the possibilities are endless.
- Root + Holler: A meat-eater’s paradise. This vendor offers locally-raised, hormone-free, all-natural meats you can take home for later to grill, smoke, bake, etc. Try a variety of their meat selection, featuring beef, pork, and lamb, and I promise you will be a very happy and full carnivore.
- Twice as Nice: This stand serves up the freshest squeezed lemonade I have ever had in my 21 years of life. You can pick from a variety of fruit flavors, like blackberry or strawberry, or stick to the much-loved classic. No matter what you choose, you will surely fall in love with Twice as Nice lemonade.
- Poppa Moose: I think it is a well-known fact that everyone loves popcorn. This vendor offers up a variety of gourmet popcorn flavors that you can snack on while walking around the market. Choose between sweet and savory flavors to find your perfect popcorn.
- Sweets Unsweetened: This bakery offers up gluten-free, vegan, and naturally sweetened options for market-goers looking for a healthier sweet. I am a huge fan of this vendor and their movement to make health-conscious treats that taste delicious! I highly recommend the cream pies or, my personal favorite, the Neiman Marcus cookie. So much health, so much yum.
New vendors I am excited about:
Gabriel’s Food & Wine: This local restaurant will be bringing a taste of Italy to the market, selling pizza, cannoli’s, sauces, fresh pasta, and much, much more!
Juanni’s Microgreens: This vendor will be selling homegrown microgreens. Stop by to learn and see exactly what microgreens are!
Other Market Morning Essentials:
I like to start my market mornings off with a Lavender Iced Latte from Dynamite Coffee, situated a few mere steps away from the market lot. This quaint coffee shop and awesome couple got their start at the Cape Riverfront Market and have been able to expand their operations since. It’s a caffeine lover’s paradise.
A little further down Spanish Street sits Spanish Street Farmacy, another family-operated business that started in the market. They have since been able to open up their own eatery/bakery/soda shop/local goods mercantile. I am a huge fan of their Saturday brunch menu, more specifically the French toast topped with butter and orange marmalade. Yes, it is indeed as good as it sounds.
This market will forever and always have my shop-local, farm-to-table, foodie-loving heart. It has become a Saturday morning tradition for myself and so many others. Keep it local, keep it fresh, and keep it Cape. See you Saturday!
Follow me on Instagram @mads.eats.errythang for more updates on everything yummy!